Monday, August 18, 2008

We are here.

Yes, we are here. We are moved in and functioning. Mostly.
It's been crazy with this move!! I must say that the company that is running the on-post housing here REALLY STINKS!! We have had nothing but problems with them and have heard nothing good about them from anyone. We were put into a very old 3 bedroom duplex here on post. It is small with very little storage. Chris bought a rubbermaid shed for the backyard so we could at least put some of the garage items in there. Go Chris!!
This place was filthy when we moved in. Filthy. We asked to see it before we signed the lease and we almost didn't sign the lease!! I asked them to send the cleaning people back in (hoping that it would help!) but it didn't. They swept and wiped off a counter... hmmmmm. So, I spent the entire first day cleaning this place from top to bottom. Yep. Very fun. We slept here on Tuesday night and the moving truck came on Wednesday morning with bad news. We were overweight!! Yep. I don't exactly know what that means for us... but it can't be good. I guess we'll be getting a bill from the government to pay for the amount we went over... grrrrr. It was just bad planning on my part. BUT I must say that I wasn't expecting this "new" place to be so tiny. We would have ditched more furniture before the truck came had we known!!! The movers unloaded us and took off and I spent a little over a week getting everything unpacked and put away. Everything has a place now, even though it's not all pretty. We had to buy some more shelves and lots of underbed boxes to accomodate things... but I think we're going to survive. We plan to only live here for a year and then we'll be moving off post, hopefully.
The kids started school on the 11th and are really liking it here! Jess is in Ms. B's 5th grade and Miah is in Ms. K's 3rd. They ride the bus (2 blocks!! Gotta love that!) and absolutely LOVE the cafeteria food. They are adjusting well, making friends and getting back into the routine.
We had my dear friend, Monica, here this weekend with her daughters and that was AWESOME!! They had fun playing with our kids. I had a blast going for a manicure /pedicure and some serious shopping with Monica! Afterwards, we grabbed the fam and ate at the most delicious restaurant I have ever been to - The Mellow Mushroom! It's this great all-natural pizza place and had the most AMAZING hummus dip. Wow! MMMMM!! The pizza crust was to die for!! We got rained on when we tried to walk the Riverwalk, but it was fun anyways!! The best part was having my sis, Monica, here... LOVE YOU GIRL!!!
Sunday, we got to attend our new ward! It is nice and starts at 12:30-sleeping in a bit (at least until we get a calling!!) will be so nice. We're curious to see where we're needed. The primary was great! The kids liked it. I enjoyed Relief Society and Chris said his High Priest class was ok. I think he's still adjusting to that whole - being with the old men - thing! No worries!
My to do list continues to grow... but I really feel like we're settling in. I went walking this morning with a new neighbor and that was fun. Life goes on.
Today the maintenance guy (FINALLY) came to do some things around this place. We have a list of things to fix that is two pages long. Yeah. I know. The biggest thing was that we couldn't unlock our doors with our keys. Yeah. I know. He fixed that. Then he fixed a hole in the wall, a leak under the bathroom sink, sprayed some wasps with raid, cleaned out 2 slow drains, replaced a light fixture, reset some crooked cupboard doors, glued the handle on the fridge... and he'll be back next Monday to finish out my list. Grrrr. I really miss Picerne! I will hear no more complaining from any of ya'll out there!! This place has got to be the worst post on the planet... seriously.
Well, I would post some pictures, but my computer died. Chris got it back up and running but I lost all my programs; Picasa among them. I can't download pictures yet. I have taken plenty of pictures though and will be sure to post them soon! I just wanted to post to let you all know that we made it. We've been better, but things are looking up! More to come....

5 comments:

Jessica S. said...

I'm glad you made it there safely. Sorry for all the drama. Just think, with your small house - at least you will be discouraged from buying new stuff b/c you don't have any place to put it! Maybe you'll save some $$! We miss you.
Oh, by the way - guess who is the new VT coordinator!

Monica said...

back at cha!

Unknown said...

I am glad you made it. I will be sure and tell Bryan that there are things worse than Picerne! Glad at least the school is good. Thanks for sending me your blog sight. Take care and we rreally do miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't realize what a difference in the Services. We had a move in as is everytime we were transferred and were expected to leave the place as clean as we found it. Spotless windows and stove and frig and everything else! The movers unpacked everything and took the wrappings. We were overweight too. It cost us each time! So we wish you well! Love you - Mom H

David and Jessica Wakefield said...

Glad you made it there. Hopefully, things will be looking up for you soon.